Baby Milestones: Object Permanence and Using Consonants
While your baby isn't aware of it, of course, she is starting to use consonants. Those eees, ahs and oohs are suddenly bebe, laa and moo. Which means—you guessed it—"Mama" and "Dada" aren't far off!
What You're Thinking: "Say 'Mama' first. Say 'Mama' first. Say 'Mama' first."
- By now your baby's sense of object permanence is probably fully developed. He knows that things exist even when he can't see them—which means, for now at least, he's a little less likely to freak out when you walk into the kitchen.
- Up the peek-a-boo ante by using a favorite toy to play with baby. Hide teddy behind you, then bring it out and say "Peek-a-boo! Here I am!" and let teddy give her a smooch. (Don't you wish you could remember when you were so easily entertained?)
- Your baby's vision is almost adult-like at this point, so he's seeing you about as clearly as you're seeing him. (Don't let that fact make you feel like you need to be in full makeup from here on out—he loves you just the way you are!)
- You are looking forward to buying all things Hello Kitty ... for your baby, of course (wink, wink).
- You timed yourself putting the blocks into baby's shape sorter. (And you beat your personal best!)
- You have retired the front baby carrier and graduated to a hip carrier or the stroller. (It was either that or future back surgery.)
- You went on an overnight "vacation" out of town—without your kid. (And only cried when you got home and saw your baby.)
We know the last thing you want to think about right now is dealing with an emergency. But the truth is, swallowing some of that anxiety and preparing yourself and your home for an emergency is worth the peace of mind you'll get as a result. We have some baby home safety and emergency preparedness tips to consider. Read more ...
Everything you ever wanted to know ... and were just about to ask ...
- How do I store and serve leftovers safely?
- Is bottled water better than tap water for my baby?
- Ways to Boost Your Sex Drive
- Treating Diaper Rash
Mommy is Rockin'
At least your abs will be, once they get a load of these reverse crunches.
Buy It: Tiny Tilla Baby and Kid Boo Boo Gel Pack
When "kissing it better" doesn't do the trick.
Recipe: Chicken and Brown Rice Baby Food
Those baby food company's have nothin' on you!
Discuss It: Chat with other new mamas and papas on our Baby Board.
BACK: Baby Development: More Month 8 / NEXT: Baby Development: Month 9
All babies grow and develop at different rates. So please don't compare your kid with so-and-so's baby from across the street—you'll just drive yourself nuts. If you have any concerns, bring them up with your pediatrician at your baby's next checkup.