Q: How do I start a LifeBook?
A: Just click on "Start a LifeBook" in the LifeBook Center or on your Me page and follow the instructions!
Q: Can everybody see my LifeBook?
A: You decide who gets to see your LifeBook. You can make it public ('cause you want to share your amazing kid with other users), you can share it with a select group of family and friends ('cause they're always bugging you for updates), or you can keep it totally to yourself. Your LifeBook, your rules.
Q: Anything I should keep in mind when adding media to my LifeBook?
A: Yup, there a few things...
- Only upload materials that belong to you.
- Get permission before you upload photos of other people and/or their kids.
- Never upload information that will put you or your kid in danger, like social security numbers, phone numbers or your home address.
- Keep the audience in mind and only upload materials that are appropriate for a parenting Web site. (In other words, keep it clean!)
Q: Do I have to fill up my LifeBook every month?
A: Nope. Make each month as full (or as empty!) as you want. That said, just because it's April, doesn't mean you can't go back and add things to February... or even October of last year. You can add to any month or year of your LifeBook at any time. Go ahead and put in your sonogram or the pictures from your baby's first birthday. And if there are some empty months in there, no worries. If you want your LifeBook to look full but don't have the time to fill out all of the Pods, swap in a few Picture Pods featuring your favorite shots. You can never showcase too many photos of your kid.
Q: What media formats does the LifeBook accept?
A: The LifeBook accepts the following types of files:
- Pictures: jpeg, gif, pict
- Video: QuickTime
- Audio: mp3
Q: How do I get media into my LifeBook?
A: You can upload pictures to your LifeBook in three different ways:
Uploading Directly to the Pod
To upload media to a selected Pod from inside your LifeBook:
- Click "Create a Pod" on the Pod you want to edit.
- Select the "Upload New Media" option.
- Browse your computer in the new window to find the file you want to upload.
Uploading to Your Media Center
Your Media Library is your storage place for all of your photos, videos and files. Media from your Media Center can be added to any of your LifeBooks.
- Choose the "My Media Center" tab at the top right corner of your LifeBook.
- Click the "Upload Files" button at the top right corner of your Media Center.
- Browse your computer until you find the files you want to upload (click to select a single file; or hold down the Shift button on your PC or Mac if you want to select multiple files).
- Click "Select" and your files will be uploaded.
- You'll be taken back to the Media Center window while your files upload; once you see the "Upload Successful" message, just click "Continue" to go back to working on your LifeBook.
Q: How do I manage my Media Center?
A: Media gets added to your Media Center in the following ways:
- You can upload media directly into your Media Center by clicking "Upload Files" and following the steps described above.
- If you upload media to one of the Pods, it's automatically added to your Media Center.
- You can email media into your LifeBook via a unique LifeBook email address. The media you email will appear in the Journal Pod, and will also be added to your Media Center. Coming Soon.
- You can send images from your mobile phone directly to your LifeBook by sending them to your LifeBook email address. These images will also appear in your Media Center. Coming Soon.
Q: So... what exactly is a "Pod," and what do I do with it?
A: We've made it easy for you to organize your memories, photos, videos, sounds and more by creating a happy little Pod system. Each LifeBook Pod lets you keep track of a specific type of information. If you want to save a sound, you use a Sound Pod. If you have a photo you want to upload, you use a Picture Pod. Some Pods-like the Journal Pod and the Event Gallery Pod-let you combine pictures, video and words to remember milestones in your kids' lives. If there are specific Pods you don't want to use you can swap them out with other Pods. Want more info on Pods? Check out the Pod details below.
- The PICTURE Pod holds a single photo. Use it to showcase that one picture you just can't get enough of. You can also dress up the image with a digital sticker and add a few descriptive tags so you can easily search for it later.
- The DATE Pod helps you document what happened on a given day by allowing you to upload photos or video clips. You can also add a short description, a digital sticker and a few descriptive tags. You can add up to 15 entries per month but each entry can only hold one photo or video clip.
- The FAVORITE Pod lets you keep track of your kid's favorite things. We know kids have a whole bunch of favorites, so we gave you a lot of room! Enter up to 15 favorites per month. Entries can include text, a photo or video clip, and a digital sticker.
- The LIST Pod lets you record all of those vital statistics, from grades and clothing sizes, to favorite TV shows and birthday wishlists. You can only save text in this Pod, but you can organize it into one-column lists (perfect for keeping track of favorite foods) or two-column lists (great for height, weight and so forth). Choose from the list options we supply or make up your own. You can add as many rows as you want to each list and the Pod lets you save 15 entries per month.
- The JOURNAL Pod is the place to let your thoughts run free. Jot down your reflections on just about anything. Add an image, video clip or digital sticker to illustrate your writing along with search tags so you can find your entries later on. You can add up to 15 entries per month and each entry can hold up to 5,000 characters.
- The QUOTE Pod allows you to keep track of your kid's most memorable verbal moments-a space to take those little pearls of wisdom out of the mouths of babes and put them into your LifeBook. This Pod accepts text only and while there's no limit on the number of entries, each one only has enough room for a line or two.
- The SOUND Pod is a place for your audio recordings-songs, sayings, even the sound of your kid laughing. Your sounds need to be recorded in the mp3 format. (That's the format that most computers, cameras and portable digital audio recorders use these days). You can upload up to 15 entries each month, and you can create a short description for each sound.
- The WORD Pod is where you put the words that your kids never tire of saying (even if you tire of hearing them)! Each entry has just enough space for a single word. You can add up to 15 entries each month.
- The EVENT GALLERY Pod is a place for you to commemorate the month's biggest occasions. It's the only Pod that you can't swap out for another type of Pod (more on the swapping process below). It's also the only gallery that lets you add up to 20 photos or video clips for each entry (all of the others only let you add one). Since you can add 15 entries each month, there's plenty of room for all of your shots of that birthday bash, your special visit from grandma and the family road trip. There's space for all of your stories too!
Q: What does it mean to swap Pods?
A: You can swap any Pod in your LifeBook-except the Event Gallery-for another type of Pod. Don't have anything to upload to the Sound Pod? It's OK-substitute a Word or Quote or Picture Pod, etc. Make sure you only swap empty Pods; if you swap a Pod you've already filled out, you'll lose all of the information in that Pod.
Q: How do I swap Pods?
- Choose the "Edit LifeBook" tab at the top right corner of your LifeBook.
- Click "Swap" to open the pull-down menu in the Pod you want to exchange.
- Scroll down until you see the name of the type of Pod you'd like to put in its place.
- Go ahead and start editing, or close the Pod if you decide to work on it later.
Q: How many items can the Pods hold?
A: Most of the Pods are capable of holding up to 15 entries. The Picture Pod, however, can only hold a single entry.
Q: How do I add, delete and organize my entries?
A: When you're in the LifeBook edit mode, you'll notice that the left column of each Pod's edit window is dedicated to editing entries. To add a new entry, click the "Add New Entry" button. If you get tired of something you've added, deleting an entry is simple: Just highlight that entry and click "Remove Selected Entry." Organizing your entries is easy too: Just drag the entries up and down in the left column of the Pod's edit window. When you return to view your LifeBook, you'll be able to scroll through the entries using the arrow buttons at the bottom of each Pod.
Q: How do I get those little icons into my LifeBook?
A: Those icons are the LifeBook version of scrapbook stickers. You can add them to any of the Pods that contain media--you'll find them listed under "Choose a Sticker" on the right-hand side of the editing window for these Pods. In the Favorite and Date Pods, you can use the sticker in place of a photo if you choose not to upload an image.
Q: Can I change the color of my LifeBook?
A: Unfortunately, once you choose the color of your LifeBook, you can't change it. We're working on fixing this.