Matchbox Car Painting Activity
Make some fast-track designs with your little speedster's hot rods.
- Tempera paint:Buy it cheap at Discount School Supply.
- Small toy cars with moving wheels
- Paper plates:Keep your wedding china well out of the way for this one!
- Large bowl of water
- Construction paper
- Contact paper:Optional, but it can turn your child's work of art into a nice placemat!
- Pour the paint onto the paper plates, one color per platter.
- Rev up the toy cars! Have the kids dip the wheels into the paint until they've got a nice, thick coat.
- Have them drive the cars on the construction paper. Vroom sounds and honking are strongly encouraged, as are loops, curves and wheelies!
- Rinse off the wheels of the car in the bowl of water before trying another color.
- Have the kids continue to dip, drive and rinse, dip, drive and rinse until their masterpiece is completed.
- For an easy clean up, toss out the paper plates and have your child give the vehicles a car wash in the bathtub or with the garden hose.
- Once the painting is dry, turn it into a card or, if your child can't part with his art, laminate it with contact paper and use it as a placemat.