Color Theory Art Activity
Teach your kid about primary and secondary colors with an art activity that's second to none.
- Blue, yellow and red paint:The primary colors.
- A paintbrush
- Paper cups
- Invite your kid to make a "purple" painting as you place one tub of red and one of blue paint in front of her. (Your kid will probably say something like, "Hey, that ain't purple.")
- Before she revolts, have her dip her brush into the red paint and drop a dollop into a paper cup.
- Then have her mix in some blue paint and watch what happens. The paint turns purple!
- She can then proceed to make her "purple" painting as promised.
- Repeat, inviting her to make an orange painting (mixing together the primary colors red and yellow to make orange), a green painting (blue and yellow) and a brown painting (blue, red and yellow). By that point, you may actually have bought yourself enough time to get dinner on the table!