Salad Spinner Art Project
Whip this one out when the kids beg, "Lettuce have some fun!"
- Salad spinner:a.k.a. dust collector.
- Spinner:Your child.
- White paper plates:Admit it—you bagged the wedding china in favor of the paper plates years ago. (One begins to wonder why we bothered with the registry in the first place. Maybe one day we'll figure out a craft that involves your crystal punch bowl and your slow cooker!)
- Washable paint:The more colors, the trippier!
- Have (or help) your kid trim one of the white paper plates so that it fits inside the bottom of a salad spinner. (Meanwhile, you can grab a bag of spinach and start dinner.)
- Help your kid poke a hole in the middle of the plate with a pen.
- Remove the plastic insert from the salad spinner and center the hole in the paper plate on the point in the bottom of the salad spinner.
- Have your child dump a teaspoon of one color of poster paint onto the plate.
- Tell her to put the lid onto the salad spinner (or she'll end up with a splattered face) and spin it!
- When she's satisfied with her spinning, have her take off the lid and add a teaspoon of another color and resume spinning.
- She can continue to add paint and spin, add paint and spin, until her art creation is complete.
- Remove the plate and let it dry.
- Display (but don't eat off of) her culinary creations!