Hollywood Boulevard Activity
Create sidewalk stars for your 'hood's smallest celebrities!
- Sidewalk:Any old pavement will do.
- Chalk:Any old chalk will do.
- "Celebrities":Kids, mom, the neighbors, the dog ...
- Dress up clothes:Boas, tiaras, tuxes—anything red-carpet worthy. Just please, not JLo's plunging green Grammy dress.
- Camera:Digital is best for instant gratification, but any camera will work.
- Computer, printer, stapler and paper:Optional, but will buy you more time, so therefore, priceless.
- Dress up in your Hollywood best. As you and your child pull together your ensembles think, "What would Joan Rivers say?"
- Call your neighbors and invite them to enjoy their very own 15 minutes of fame. You may even get a chance to chat with someone over the age of five!
- Grab your chalk and camera and hit the pavement.
- Using the chalk, draw big stars on the sidewalk à la Hollywood Boulevard's Walk of Fame. Write a name—your child's name, the neighbor's name, the UPS guy's name if he shows up—in each star.
- Under each name, draw a little picture of what each "Celeb" is famous for—i.e., under "Dad," draw a hammer. If he's not very handy then create a star for your handyman and invite him to the festivities!
- Take a picture of every "celebrity" next to their star.
- You can even have your child bring out her favorite dolls or stuffed animals and create stars for them if the thought of going back inside for another round of I Spy is killing you.
- Have everyone sign autographs and pose for pics with their "fans" (a.k.a. Mom and Grandma).
- If you use a digital camera, upload the shots to your computer and print them out.
- Next, let your kid staple the print-outs together to make your own celebrity magazine! This will buy you at least another 10 minutes to chop veggies for dinner or clean the cat litter. It's a glamorous life, but someone's got to live it!