Activities: Make Giant Cereal Box Dominoes
Supersize 'em! Make and play this colossal domino game.
- Gigantic dominoes:Cereal boxes. Save up empty ones or use them when they're still full of Cheerios.
- Mondo dominoes:Mac 'n cheese boxes. Again, full or empty (but we're betting when the kids see the blue box, it'll be empty by the time they're ready to play).
- Toppler:Your big kid.
- Have your kid choose the size of box he wants and gather them up. If you're using empty boxes, you'll need to put something in them to weigh them down. A book? DVDs in their cases? Eggs? (Only kidding about that last one. That'd be downright crazy!)
- Next, help your kid stand the first box upright on the floor. He might need some help getting it to stay up. (Hint: Hardwood or tile is much easier to balance on than carpet.)
- Choose another domino and set it up 6 to 8 inches away from the first one for the cereal boxes, or 4 to 6 inches away for the mac 'n cheese boxes.
- Continue this until you run out of boxes (or until you run out of patience ... whichever comes first).
- When your kid is ready, have him knock down the first box. It should topple into the next one, which, in turn, will topple into the next one. You know, "the domino effect."
- Once the dominoes have all toppled, have your kid help you line them up again. This time, try a domino circle or a domino snake.
- When he's done toppling and re-toppling, have your kid help you carry the boxes back to the pantry or the recycling bin. See, he can be a big help, too.
- Feeling artistically inspired? Let your kid help you glue black construction paper and white dots onto empty boxes to make the dominoes more authentic.