Noisemaker: New Year's Craft
Party like it's 2099!
- Toilet paper rolls:One per noisemaker.
- Uncooked rice:Break out the Uncle Ben's!
- Construction paper:Get your kid to pick out his favorite color.
- Two rubber bands:Two per noisemaker.
- Markers, glitter, streamers and tin foil or wrapping Paper
- A few weeks before New Year's, start putting aside empty toilet paper rolls. If your clan resembles the Brady Bunch, you may only need to collect rolls for a day or two.
- Have your child cut two small squares of construction paper about 3 inches square to cover the hole of the toilet paper roll.
- Have your child cover one end of the roll with construction paper and secure it with a rubber band.
- Help your child trim the paper, if needed.
- Have him fill the toilet paper roll with the uncooked rice, then cover the other end of the toilet paper roll with the other piece of construction paper. Secure with a rubber band.
- Invite your kid to decorate his noisemaker. He can write the incoming year on it with glitter or cover it in tin foil or wrapping paper. Get him to glue streamers or feathers to the ends or bling it up with some rhinestones or sparkly beads.
- Keep your kid busy all afternoon and invite him to make one for every member of the family, or every person on the block!
- On New Year's Eve, put on your party hats, bust out the shakers, pop open the Champers (or Martinelli's for the under-21 set) and make some noise!
- Need more noisemakers? (As if!) Nick Jr. has more instructions to Make Your Own Musical Instruments.