Glittering Goblet Craft
Turn a cheap plastic cup into stunning stemware!
- Plastic goblet or wineglass:Keep your precious Baccarat stemware out of the kids' grubby paws and find a cheap one at PartyCity. For longer-lasting ones, try: KidSmartLiving.
- Faux gems
- Hot glue:Remember, kids and hot glue don't mix, so make sure you do all the gluing!
- 18-gauge craft wire:It comes in just about every color imaginable. Buy it at your local crafts store or find it online at Parawire. (Yes, apparently there is an online store for everything!)
- Grown-up scissors
- Two small paper or plastic bowls
- Pencil or pen
- Thin wire ribbon:Use this for younger kids instead of craft wire and beads. See Do Note for details.
- Newspaper or plastic table cloth
- Lay down some newspaper or a plastic table cloth to protect your table. Put out all of the faux gems, glue, beads and wire. (You might want to separate your gems and beads into bowls to keep them from rolling all over the table, and the floor, and causing a potential falling hazard, or clogging your vacuum ... you get the picture.)
- Grab your hot-glue gun and, while your kid stands back and directs the placement, glue the faux jewels to the base and top (the "cup" part of the goblet), but not around the stem.
- Cut 24 inches of the craft wire for him.
- Help your kid wrap the craft wire around the stem of the goblet three times.
- Then have him string three to five beads onto the wire and wrap it around the stem again.
- Have Junior repeat steps four and five until the wire is full of beads.
- Finish it off by crimping the end by wrapping it tightly around a pen or pencil to create a kink so the beads can't slide off.
- Set the table with your new, fabulous jewel-encrusted stemware and some fancy silverware (purple plastic forks, perhaps?) and order in some pizza! (Who wants to cook after spending all afternoon helping the kids glue rhinestones onto plastic?) A feast fit for royalty!
- For younger kids, don't use beads (choking hazard!) and craft wire. Instead, use thin wire ribbon. For a big selection of inexpensive wire ribbon try Save on Crafts. Tie it around the base and then wrap it mummy-style up the stem. Knot and tie at the top.
- Create a family tradition out of this craft! Make a set of goblets for everyone (glue on jewels in their favorite colors) and only use them on special occasions such as Passover (makes a great Kiddush cup!), birthdays, holidays, graduations.
- You can personalize the goblets by using alphabet beads.