Deep-Sea Pencil Topper Crafts
Make a swirly squid pencil topper.
- Several pieces of felt:In assorted, sea-like colors.
- Hot-glue gun:Kids and hot glue don't mix, so make sure you do all the gluing.
- Scrap paper
- A marker
- Small googly eyes
- New pencils
- Have your kid measure out a 3 x 1½-inch rectangle and a circle that is 2¼ inches in diameter onto a piece of scrap paper.
- Help him cut the shapes out. These will be his templates for the project.
- Next, have him trace around the templates onto the felt with a marker. Help him cut them out.
- Help your kid cut thin strips along the 3-inch length of the rectangle, leaving about ½ inch at top uncut.
- When he's done cutting, use your glue gun to place a thin line of hot glue around the bottom of the metal part of the pencil. Wrap the felt around the pencil with the uncut part at the top.
- Next, put hot glue on the top of the eraser and around the side of the metal part of the pencil. Take the felt circle and center it on top of the eraser and push the sides down around the eraser, allowing the felt to flare out around the eraser as you glue the edges of the circle down.
- Glue two googly eyes onto the pencil, just below the bulby felt "head" of the squid.
- Give your kid his deep-sea creature to bring with him to class. Here's hoping his first day goes swimmingly!
- Does your kid need somewhere fabulous to put his pencils? Have him make his own personalized pencil case craft!