Inspirational Stones Craft
Invite your kid to make these rockin' gifts
- Wordsmith:Your kid.
- Smooth stones:Find good ones near a lake or creek or at the beach, as water smoothes off the rough edges. (In a pinch, buy a bag at your local craft or gardening store.)
- Permanent marker:Look for metallic markers to make the words shimmer and glow.
- Tissue paper or tulle:Hide your wedding veil!
- Get your kid out of the house and have her collect a basketful of smooth stones.
- Have her wash the stones to clean off any dirt and then dry them.
- Help her write inspirational words or short messages on each stone with the permanent markers, such as, "HOPE," "JOY" or "DADDY ROCKS." Center the word or phrase on each stone and write it large enough to cover the face of the stone.
- Your child can write on just one side of each stone, or she can write a complimentary word or phrase on the other side. For example, she can write "BEST" on one side and "FRIEND" on the other.
- Have her accent the stones with sparkly jewels or glitter.
- Finally, have her wrap each stone in colorful tulle or tissue paper and tie it up with a ribbon.
- Have her give the stones out to everyone she loves and adores (or just owes a gift to). Everyone will agree that these little gifts really rock!
- Thanks to Traci Page Johnson and Nick Jr. Magazine.