Edible Aquarium Craft
Jell-O aquarium + gummy fish = wiggly, chewy, giggly fun!
- Little prankster:Your kid.
- Aquarium:A clear glass or plastic cup or bowl—something that looks like it could hold fish.
- Clear, flavored gelatin:Like Sparkling White Grape Jell-O.
- Blue food coloring:Optional, but nice if you want a blue tinge to the water.
- Gummy fish, eels or other gummy sea life
- Candy Rocks:If you can't find actual Candy Rocks (they look like this) you can use red cinnamon candies.
- Ribbon or rock candy:For "coral." Find it online at CandyWarehouse or at your local candy store.
- Fruit roll-ups
- Chopstick or wooden skewer
- Mixing bowl
- Have your kid toss a layer of candy rocks onto the bottom of the bowl or glass to look like aquarium rocks.
- Then help her trim a few pieces of fruit roll-up into small seaweed-like shapes.
- Set it aside and help your kid mix up a batch of gelatin. Just follow the instructions on the package.
- Let your kid add a drop or two of food coloring to the gelatin, if she wants. Just don't add too much, because you want to be able to see clearly inside the bowl.
- Then toss the "seaweed" into the gelatin.
- Next, help your kid pour the Jell-O mixture into the bowl or glass, being careful not to disturb the "rocks."
- Put the gelatin into the fridge to let it set a tiny bit, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Next, pull the gelatin out of the fridge and get your kid to enhance her underwater world by using the chopstick to push a few ribbon candy strips or rock candy bits into the gelatin to look like coral. The gelatin should be just thick enough to get the coral to stand up.
- Now, have your kid poke a few fish into the "sea" to look like they're swimming. If the gelatin is too thin for the fish to stay in the middle of the bowl, put it back in the fridge for a little longer to let it set some more.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes until it sets completely.
- Great for parties and pranksters alike! The best part? No fishy smell! Only sugary goodness!
- Make a bunch of mini-aquarium crafts using clear plastic cups for parties.
- Find cool candy stores in your 'hood (like the vegan/organic Natural Candy Store) at ParentsConnect Local.