Handmade Puppet Craft
Make your own "Ugly Doll" out of a single mitten or glove.
- Master puppeteer:Your kid.
- A single mitten or glove that's missing its mate
- Permanent markers
- Pipe cleaners
- Buttons and googly eyes
- Fabric and yarn scraps
- Fabric glue
- A hot-glue gun and glue sticks:Kids and hot glue don't mix, so make sure you do all the gluing.
- Stuffing material:Pick up some fiberfill or just raid the medicine cabinet for cotton balls.
- Plastic sewing needle
- Chopstick or knitting needle
- Send your kid on a mission in the coat closet to find an old, mateless glove or mitten. Light-colored fabrics work best.
- Then lay out the markers, buttons, googly eyes, yarn and fabric scraps and invite your kid to decorate the mitten like a monster. He can use yarn for hair, buttons for eyes or a nose, the fabric scraps for tentacles or pipe cleaners as antennae. Let his imagination go to work, while you get to work hot-gluing everything into place.
- Next, help him fill the glove or mitten with stuffing. If he's using cotton balls, have him fluff them out before stuffing. To get the fill into glove fingers or a mitten thumb, push it up with chopstick or knitting needle.
- Then show your kid how to thread a plastic needle and help him sew the bottom of the monster shut using a simple in-and-out stitch. And presto! He's got himself a scary, strange-looking new pal. Uglydoll's got nothin' on this guy!
- Not the sewing type? Have your kid seal the bottom of the mitten monster with a rubber band or use a little hot glue to seal it shut.