Jack in the Box Game
Pretend to be a Jack (or Jill) in the box.
- Jack 1:You.
- Jack 2:Your kid.
- Large moving mox:Big enough for you and/or your kid to fit into.
- A jack-in-the-box (optional):To show your kid how the real thing works.
- Crayons, markers or paints
- Pretend handle:This one is all in your imagination.
- A funny hat (optional):It's always fun to dress the part!
- Before you begin, show your kid how a real jack-in-the-box works (if you have one). Walk her through it a few times, then put the toy away (if you can pry it out of your kid's hands without a meltdown) and show her how to become a jack-in-the-box herself.
- Get a big cardboard box (from the attic, garage or Costco) and have your kid decorate it with crayons, markers or paints.
- Demonstrate how to curl up into a tight little ball …
- … and then spring open, popping up to a standing position.
- You and your kid can yell "POP!" every time you jump up. Your kid will love this part, especially if you act surprised every time she shouts it. You may even get a few of those priceless giggles.
- Now try it in the box, with some tunes and imaginary cranking. Decide with your child who goes first and then get cranking. "POP!"