Kid Friendly Mardi Gras Party
Throw a G-rated Mardi Gras parade in your living room!
- Mardi Gras revelers:You, your kids and anyone else you want to invite.
- Costumes, wigs, funny hats:Raid the dress-up box.
- Mardi Gras beads:Buy them online at emardigrasbeads.com or at your local party store.
- Mocktails:Non-alcoholic versions of the Mardi Gras drink of choice—the Hurricane.
- Mardi Gras masks:Buy 'em or see our DO The Mask and have the kids make their own!
- Music:Some cool New Orleans tunes. Check out Mardi Gras Records for a sweet selection.
- Cajun food:Pick up some KFC, or if you're feeling ambitious, make your own Mardi Gras fare! Check out our recipes for Big Easy Beignets and One Pot Chicken Jambalaya.
- Order or prepare the food and mix up some drinks.
- If you're up for it, have the kids invite some friends over. Better yet, invite your friends and their kids, so everyone can get in on the fun!
- Tell the guests to come in their Mardi Gras finest, but have any extra costumes, wigs and hats you have available for party poopers who show up in jeans and T-shirts.
- Pump up the tunes! Try New Orleans native Harry Connick, Jr.'s "Songs I Heard" to please both the younger and, ahem, older generations.
- Have the kids parade around the living room as the grownups kick back on the sofa and sip Hurricanes. Hey, it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
- Don't forget to shout "Show us yer armpits!" at the kids and toss some beads their way when they comply.