Snack Sorting Game
Use cereal and snack foods to practice patterns!
- Cereal:As many different shapes and types as you can muster up: flakes, crunchy frosted squares, grains, O's and so on
- Plastic or paper bowls
- Next time you're at the grocery store, pick up a variety of different cereals (as if you weren't already).
- At home, place each type of cereal in a bowl on the dining room table.
- Arrange two or three kinds of cereal into a pattern, for example: three O's, two frosted squares, one dried raisin.
- Ask your child to repeat the pattern with the cereal, making it longer and longer.
- Then switch! Challenge your child's creativity and ask her to make up a pattern. Then you recreate it!
- Do it again and again, making the patterns more and more intricate as your child gets the hang of it!
- When you're done, eat it all up for snack!
- You can also play this game with snack food: Cheez Doodle, pretzel, soy chip; Cheez Doodle, pretzel, soy chip; or grape, grape, blueberry, raisin; grape, grape, blueberry, raisin.
- Looking for more learning activities for your kid? Nick Jr. has a Preschool Printable Pack that lets kids practice reading, math, geography, science and art skills.