Splish Splash Bath Game
Let your kid coach swimming lessons for his bathtub buds!
- Bathtub:Isn't it mind-boggling that kids resist taking a bath when you would give anything for a luxurious soak in the tub?
- Swim students:a.k.a., bath toys. Rubber duckies are only the beginning. For fun dinosaur, bug, garden, transportation and farm-animal bath toys, check out Bath Squirters by Alex Toys.
- Swim instructor:Your child.
- Swimsuit, goggles, floaties:Although it's optional, your kid may feel more "official" if he's donning real, professional swim gear for his new role as swim instructor. Resist letting him wear a swimming cap, however, or you'll never get yesterday's yogurt out of his hair.
- Fill up the tub.
- Grab your child's washcloth or towel. Just a reminder: Never, ever leave your kid alone in the tub!
- Have your child strip down to his birthday suit. Naked swimming coaches may not pass muster for the Olympics, but at home they're just fine!
- Have your son gather his "students." He can take roll call to make sure everybody is present. "Rubber ducky?" "Here!"
- Everyone in the tub (except you, Mom).
- Time to teach those toys to swim. Your child may already know a few basic strokes if he attends his own swimming lessons. If not, give him a quick tutorial. He can teach the front crawl by floating the toys on their bellies and the backstroke by flipping them over on their backs, or he can dunk them up and down in a breaststroke. He can also teach his toys to dive off the edge of the tub and hold their breath under water. Look Mom, baths just became fun!