Baby Physical Development: Breakfast Cereal Game
Hone baby's fine motor skills with oodles of O's.
- Your kid:a.k.a, the Raking-Scooping-Drop-and-Release Genius.
- Breakfast cereal:Something that's easy to pick up and easy to eat if you have no teeth (e.g., no granola clusters).
- A highchair:Or a little table and chair for older toddlers.
- A cup or bottle
- Begin by demonstrating your own genius moves. Let your kid watch while you drop a piece of cereal into a cup or bottle.
- Then dump it out onto your kid's highchair tray or the table.
- Pick the piece of cereal up again with your expert pincer grasp and put it back into the cup or bottle. Ta da! Your kid will be intrigued and might even give you a look that says, "Wow, Mom, you're one brilliant babe!"
- Now encourage your kid to do it. Help him drop the cereal into the cup or bottle.
- Then hand him the bottle or cup and encourage him to fish or dump the cereal out. Try not to jump in and do it for him unless he gets visibly frustrated. The only way he'll learn is by trying it himself.
- Repeat again and again as long as he'll sit there. If he chucks a Cheerio into his mouth (or on the floor), just grab another and keep the game going. Fun and fiber all in one!