I Spy With My Spotlight ...
Make a game of "I Spy" more fun with a flashlight!
- A roomAny old room will do, although the more cluttered, the better. Now you have an excuse not to clean!
- FlashlightGrab the one in your "junk drawer." Don't forget to replace its batteries when you're done!
- ItemsAnything already in the room will work—a clock, a painting, toys, etc. This activity makes use of what you already have. Isn't that refreshing?
- Make a list of things around your son's room. Don't be alarmed if you come across items you've never seen before.
- Get a flashlight. If you're already lying down, have your kid grab it!
- Have your child lie down with you. When you're both all settled and cozy, call out something that you see. Say "Spotlight on... a teddy bear!" and ask him to find it.
- Have him point the flashlight on the item you named.
- To shake things up—and buy you more downtime—make the game more challenging by giving just a clue. Say "Spotlight on...something furry!" and see if your tot can guess. Is it the teddy bear or the cat?
- Go to a different room and start again. Hey, how many games can you play with the kids lying down? Try every room in the house!
- Need another excuse not to get up? Dora's got more downtime fun in this Backpack Game at Nick Jr.