Kick the Can Game
Teach the kids to "kick it" old-school!
- Can: An empty soda can works best, but you can also play with a ball or a small gift box. In fact, why don't you tell Daddy that the game requires a small gift box and see if he gets the hint? Kick the Tiffany box, anyone?
- Can master: a.k.a., the person who guards the can. Let's just call him It, shall we?
- Players: Grab Dad or a sibling for this one. You'll need at least three players (including It).
- Playing field: Or gym, rec room, etc. A grassy area is ideal because players may end up leaping and sliding and will want to protect their knees.
- Hiding places: Safe spots for the players to take cover, i.e., behind a tree, under a bench, etc.
- Jail: A blanket or old sheet will do.
- Dark clothing: If you wear bright orange, you'll be easy to spot. So break out the camouflage tees!
- Have the kids get the can (or ball, box, etc.).
- Trek out to the playing field. You'll need a good deal of space (about 20 yards, or 1/5 of a football field) so you may want to head over to a local park.
- Place the can in the middle of the playing area.
- Have your children pick a spot to be the "jail," somewhere close to the can, but not so close that it obstructs access to the can. You can lay down a blanket or old sheet to identify the jail space.
- Decide who is going to be It.
- It covers his eyes and counts to 50 while the other players hide.
- It opens his eyes and searches for the hidden players. Whenever he spots one, he calls out the player's name and hiding place. Example: "Dad, behind the lamppost." (He didn't really think that pole was going to hide him, did he? Can you say pot belly?)
- The outted player then goes directly to jail.
- As It looks about for other victims, he must remember to guard the can. If another player manages to kick the can, all of the prisoners go free.
- If It sees a player making a dash for the can, he's got to race toward it, step on it and call out that player's name. The player then goes to jail.
- When everyone is captured and sitting in jail—à la today's Hollywood starlets—the game is over and It wins!
- Play again and designate the first one captured in the last game as It.