Sing Silly Songs
Crack up your kid with a kooky rendition of a classic tune.
- Silly singer:Mom, dad, grandma or grandpa.
- Appreciative audience:Your child.
- Your child's favorite song:If you can't think of anything, a simple "Happy Birthday" or "Twinkle, Twinkle" will do the trick!
- Sunglasses and/or hat:To disguise yourself (bank critics can be harsh!).
- Ask your child to select a favorite song. If he's too young to answer, pick it for him. Enjoy the absolute authority while it lasts!
- Sing one verse as you normally would. It doesn't matter if you're tone deaf; your child will love hearing you sing regardless (at least until he's 8 and it embarrasses the heck out of him).
- Sing the song again, but this time, mix it up! Sing it in a funny voice, a French accent, a whisper, a shout or just "meow" the whole song.
- If your child is old enough, invite him to join in and come up with a way to sing the song. Why not growl the whole verse and sing the chorus with your mouth shut?
- Continue as long as you have your child's attention. If he gets bored of the first song and you've got 30 minutes until you arrive at grandma's, pick another song to keep it interesting. Distraction is the name of the game.
- Stuck for songs to shout and lyrics to bark? Nick Jr. "Sing-Along" Song Sheets will keep you and your kid occupied for long enough to get practically anything done.