(Workin' at the) Car Wash
Want to give your kids something productive to do, and cool off while they're doing it? Throw a funky car wash!
- car soap
- big sponge or terry cloth rag
- poster board, markers, and any other embellishments
- step stool
- bathing suit
- window cleaner
- paper towels or newspaper
- Have your kids make a big ol' colorful CAR WASH sign that you can place in your front yard. (Give your kids enough time to really get into the sign decorating part.) Decide on a fair price ($5, $10, even FREE?) to get your neighbors in on the action.
- Put on your bathing suits, 'cause you KNOW you and your kid are gonna get wet. (In fact, he'll probably insist!)
- Put one cap full of car soap into a bucket and fill it 3/4 of the way with warm water.
- Once your kid has his first customer (which might just be, um, YOU), help your kid spray down the car with the hose, starting from the roof down to the tires. (Again, watch out for the hose attack!)
- Tell your kid to dip the sponge or rag in the bucket of soapy water and sponge the roof of the car. (Your little entrepreneur may need a hand, or better yet, a step stool.) When the roof is all sudsed up, spray off excess soap.
- Next, you and your kid can take turns sponging down each side of the car, then do the hood and the back. Make sure you do just one full side at a time, always going from top to bottom. (But hey, if your kid's having fun, who cares what direction the sponge goes!)
- Once the entire car has been all bubbly scrubbed, spray the car down with water from hose one last time. This will get rid of any water spots remaining on the car. (This no doubt will be your kid's favorite part!)
- Have your kid grab the towel, and lay it flat down on the car's surface. Again, try to go from the roof and work your way down.
- Now, it's window time (if your kid isn't still playing with the hose!). Take the window cleaner and spritz inside, then outside. Newspaper works great (and you're recycling to boot!), but paper towels are fine too.
- Lastly, wipe down the wheels with a towel to get rid of any water spots. And, voila! Take a bow!
- Get your money! Thank your customer. Order pizza for a job well done.