Outdoor Activities: Make a Backyard Beach!
Life's a beach when you've got the seaside in your own backyard!
- Kiddie pool
- Sand: Send your partner to the playground at midnight with a bucket and shovel. Or pick some up at Home Depot!
- Plastic bucket and shovel
- Towel or beach chair, sunscreen, glass of iced tea and a magazine: For you—you've earned it!
- Help your child fill half of the kiddie pool with sand by scooping it out of the bag with a plastic bucket. The sand should slope down toward the middle of the pool, creating a simulated beachfront. Don't worry if your little one can only handle a little sand at a time. The more trips he makes, the longer he'll keep busy—and less chances of his whining "I'm borrrred!"
- Hand your child the hose and have him fill the pool with a small amount of water, just enough to have it lap the edge of the sand. There's your ocean!
- Grab the sunscreen, buckets and shovels, and spend the day at the shore building sand castles and frolicking in the surf. You can join in on the fun, too! Set up your little beachside retreat (chair, sunscreen, iced tea, magazine) and soak up some rays. It may not be Maui, but it's better than sitting inside your sweltering house playing Chutes and Ladders for the 37th time!