Squirrely Outdoor Activity
Act like wild animals!
- A quiet place in nature
- Explorers:Your kids
- Expedition leaderYou
- Magnifying glassOptional
- Video cameraOptional
- Find a (sort of) quiet place in nature. This can be your backyard, a nature reserve or even a park as long as there aren't a million kids playing and screaming.
- Start looking for living creatures. Show your kid how birds and squirrels often live up in the trees and how insects live under rocks.
- Each time you spot an animal, stop and observe the animal (with your binoculars or magnifying glass if you have them). Pay special attention to how the animal moves.
- Have your kid imitate that animal's movement. Can he inch along like an earthworm? Can she prance like a robin?
- Videotape your kid scampering around like a chipmunk or floating like a butterfly. Once you're home, watch the video together and talk about each animal that you saw.
- For more fun, educational outdoor activities in nature, go to Naturerocks.org