Activities: Homemade Picture Book
Move over Mo Willems, baby's makin' her own picture books now.
- Miniature photo album or brag book
- Several pictures of her favorite things:Don't have a dozen dog pictures lying around? Cut some out of magazines, newspapers or catalogs, or do a Google image search to find some.
- Construction paper or scrapbook paper
- Collect enough images to fill half of your book.
- Cut them, mount them on paper (if you want to be fancy) and place them in the album.
- Read the new book to your kid. When you get to the end, it's time for the two of you to get crafty together. Tell her that you want her to find more pictures to put in the book.
- Have her flip through magazines, look in your photo box, draw some pictures or even shoot some around the house with her and print them up from your digital camera.
- Cut the new pictures out together and place them into the book. (Save some blank pages for some new obsessions.)
- Finish reading the book together and then put it in your bag so your child can read it on the go.
- Next time your kid gets a new obsession, round up some new photos and put them in the book. (And save the cash you'd have spent on a new book for a new pair of shoes!)