Smart Aleck Activity
Let this smart-mouthed card tell it like it is.
- 2 pieces of card stock
- A glue stick
- A pencil
- Embellishments:Glitter, sequins, googly eyes, yarn, etc.
- Fold one of the pieces of card stock in half.
- Have your kid find a spot about halfway up the fold, then use scissors to snip a 2-inch slit from that spot toward the center.
- Grab the corners that resulted from your cut and fold them away from the slit to make two triangles.
- Have your kid open up the piece of cardstock and lay it open in front of her with the fold vertical.
- Help her push the folded triangles out along the original creases and pinch the edges together.
- When you have the edges together, carefully fold the card closed again and press down on the creases to make them sharper. You'll have what looks like a cut-out triangle along your original fold.
- Test to see if your lips are ready for back-talking by opening and closing the card. The lips should open and close, as well.
- Fold the second piece of card stock in half.
- Glue it to the back of your hot lips card. (Be careful not to glue the lips down or they won't be able to do any talking.)
- Draw a large circle around the lips (for the face) and let your kid start embellishing. She'll know what to do.
- Draw a speech bubble coming from the mouth and let your kid write whatever her heart desires in it. If her smart-aleck card wants to rant and rave about the injustice of her paltry allowance, it can. If her card wants to moan and groan about how she only has one iPod, that's fine, too. Just make sure that she knows that smart mouths only work when they're made out of card stock!