Video Activity Starring ... You!
Let the kids turn the camera on you for a change.
- You:With your hair brushed.
- Your kids:With clean hands.
- A video camera.
- Show the kids how to turn on the camera and how to record. Skip the part about how to zoom, unless you're a fan of vertigo when you're watching home movies.
- Put the strap around the videographer's neck and hand over the camera.
- Roll 'em! Encourage the kids to be creative in their directorial debut.
- Let them interview you or just tell them a story about when you were a kid.
- Make funny faces on their command. For once, let them tell you to stick out your tongue and get away with it.
- Dance! Bust out your best Electric Slide.
- Tell corny jokes.
- Tell them you love them and list a dozen reasons why.
- When they're all done shooting, let them screen their work (without commenting on how terrible you look), so they can feel proud of their big time filmmaking skills.
- If you or your kid is tech savvy, consider uploading the video into some video-editing software and adding a voiceover or some music to match the mood.
- Resist the urge to turn yourself into the next YouTube celebrity. One mother singing parenting woes to the tune of the "William Tell Overture" is quite enough, thanks.