Tiny Dancer: Music and Movement Activity
Get baby's dancing moves off on the right foot (baa-boom-ching).
- Dancer:Your baby.
- Your favorite music:Put on some music you enjoy. Save the Barney CDs for the days when your child refuses to listen to anything else.
- Pop in your favorite CD.
- Settle in somewhere comfortable with your baby.
- Tap baby's feet together to the beat. You can narrate what you are doing to familiarize baby with his body parts.
- Then wave his arms and clap his hands to the music. (Do try to avoid "raising the roof." Despite what you might think, nobody's really done that for a decade.)
- If you got a full three hours of uninterrupted sleep last night (wow!) and you're feeling filled with a surge of extra energy, you can haul your butt up off the couch and sway to the music with baby. This is a great way to sneak in some cardio. Plus your baby will love the soothing motion and may even fall asleep and give you a chance to catch another hour of shut-eye!
- Got an older kid who wants in on the dancing? Teach her how with moves from Nick Jr.'s tips from the Backyardigans.