12 Month Old Baby Development: First Birthday
You are the parent of a 1-year-old! (Can you even remember being pregnant?!) You've learned a lot this past year (Hello?! Moro reflexes!) but more importantly, you've been taking amazing care of another human being and, we are sure, making him or her smile along the way. Nice job, Mom! Good work, Dad!
What You're Thinking: "My baby is a toddler!"
- By now, your baby may have finally learned to say "mama" to Mama and "dada" to Dada. Enjoy!
- Your baby may be really good at drinking from a cup now. Welcome to the age of sippy cups! Spill-proof cups will make this time much more fun (i.e., tolerable) for you.
- Your little angel may be a bit devilish these days. (Do I see grape jelly all over the dog? Is that a crayon wedged in the DVD player?) While it may take a lot of reinforcing, make sure you firmly but calmly tell him that his behavior is unacceptable ("bad" is so '80s). And if we've learned anything from watching Supernanny, it's to be consistent when it comes to discipline (that, and that things always turn out well when a British nanny shows up at your door).
- Your baby's birthday's this week, so you know what you've gotta do, right? Practice saying, "How old are you?" and coach baby to hold up one finger and say "One!!!" If you do it at least a zillion times, she may be ready for the party! Happy birthday!
- Yippee! You made it through one of the most challenging, sleep-deprived, insane (and insanely great) times in your life. So huge kudos to you, Mama (and Papa)!
- You held your friend's newborn baby and said, "He's so light and tiny!" and could hardly remember what it was like to hold your baby almost a year ago.
- You managed to plan your baby's first birthday party without turning into a celebration-crazed lunatic (i.e., no ponies).
- You say "my daughter" or "my son" and it feels natural (not like, "me, a parent?").
- You've thought about having another baby (but maybe not just yet ... on the other hand, maybe right away).
- You are a better disciplinarian than your partner (at least in your mind you are—your partner's thinking the same thing!).
- You called your mom and said thank you and sorry—for everything. (After a year of parenthood, you know how much she did for you ... and can imagine how much you may have done to her.)
After a year of documenting baby's every movement in photo and video, you're practically a pro when it comes to capturing the moment on film. So with the arrival of baby's first birthday, it's only natural that you'd want to get some great shots of the big event. We've got some tips for getting great pictures of baby's first birthday. Happy birthday, baby! Say "cheese!" Read more ...
Everything you ever wanted to know ... and were just about to ask ...
Whip that tush into shape!
Buy It: Crafty Mama Makes 49 Fast, Fabulous, Foolproof (Baby & Toddler) Projects
Now that Junior can entertain herself, make something fabulous with your newly free hands!
Cook It: Citrus Cake With Zested Cream Chantilly
Whip up these fancy cupcakes for baby's first birthday party. Mmm, sweet!
Discuss It: Chat with other toddler mamas and papas on our Message Board!
BACK: Baby Development: Month 11 / NEXT: Toddler Development: Month 12
All babies grow and develop at different rates. So please don't compare your kid with so-and-so's baby from across the street—you'll just drive yourself nuts. If you have any concerns, bring them up with your pediatrician at your baby's next checkup.