5 Month Old Baby Development: Baby Chewing
Talking to your baby sometimes feels a little like talking to yourself, but it's also a great excuse for those checkout stand "OMG is that Oprah in a bikini!?" moments. Plus, no matter what you're saying at this point, it'll make your baby want to keep verbalizing—which puts you on the road to actual conversations with your baby (even if they are about whether Oprah will be able to keep the weight off).
What You're Thinking: "I wonder if I'll ever wear a bikini again?"
- Your baby is probably perfecting her ability to grab and reach. Don't be surprised if she's actually reaching for you these days ... wanting to be picked up or wanting to be fed.
- Her reaching for you may also be accompanied by the beginnings of stranger anxiety—the period during which she wants no one but you. Which will make you feel like the Best. Mama. In. The. World for a while and might morph into Someone. Please. Hold. This. Baby after a little bit longer.
- Many babies are interested in chewing fingers at this stage. This is an entirely normal stage of development and it's not something you need to stop (no matter what your anyone says!). Babies who do this are good at soothing themselves. And babies who can self-soothe tend to have happy, sane parents!
- Take off baby's socks so she can get at her feet easily. She may even use them as convenient (though somewhat hard to reach) pacifiers. Don't worry: She should outgrow this before kindergarten.
- You interviewed a babysitter who wasn't Mary Poppins but you liked her anyway (does someone really need a magical umbrella to watch your child?).
- You were well prepared for your baby's vomiting in the car recently: tons of paper towels, heavy-duty cleaner for the car, a non-toxic cleaner for the car seat and an odor remover for all of the above. (After the first three times, how could you not be?)
- You ran for 20 minutes today—and no, you weren't chasing a runaway stroller—it was just to feel good.
- You bought a new CD ... albeit of lullabies, but still.
- You realized re-gifting is acceptable (even essential) when it comes to parenthood. This realization came when you simultaneously remembered you never returned the five copies of Goodnight Moon you got as gifts and you needed a baby gift for your neighbor.
Your baby may still be too young to unroll an entire roll of TP down the hall and around the dog, but let's face it, it's only a matter of time. Prepare yourself and your bathroom for baby destruction by taking steps to babyproof the bathroom now. Read more ...
Everything you ever wanted to know ... and were just about to ask ...
Buy It: Digital Bath Spout Cover
Get the water temperature just right every time!
Share It: Stay at Home Secret
Sometimes being a SAHM can be downright relaxing!
Discuss It: Chat with other new mamas and papas on our Baby Board.
BACK: Baby Development: More Month 5 / NEXT: Baby Development: More Month 5
All babies grow and develop at different rates. So please don't compare your kid with so-and-so's baby from across the street—you'll just drive yourself nuts. If you have any concerns, bring them up with your pediatrician at your baby's next checkup.