Bonding With Baby: 10 Little Fingers Baby Song
Teach baby his digits with this little diddy.
- Your one, two, threes!
- Find a quiet place to snuggle up with your baby.
- Stroke each of his fingers individually, saying, "One little finger, two little fingers, three little fingers," all the way up to "10 little fingers!"
- Better yet, you can sing about his fingers. Make up a tune, or put new words to an old standard ("Happy Birthday" works well). Don't feel self-conscious, no one's listening but baby and he won't think you're a fool for a good 10 years!
- Now repeat with toes.
- For older babies, try counting with inanimate objects. Have him count his cars, dolls or all those random puzzle pieces as he picks them up off the floor. He's learning his numbers while organizing the living room.
- This activity is great because you can do it anytime, anyplace—on an airplane, at grandma's, in the car—since it doesn't require any props. Your diaper bag is full enough!