Baby Physical Development: Walking Down Stairs
Teach your baby how to be a stair master!
- Your child
- Stairs:Preferably carpeted.
- Sit your child at bottom of stairs while you sit two steps above her.
- Scoot down stairs feet-first, saying "Feeties first!" while your child watches you.
- Now, place your kid two steps above you, facing you.
- Place her feet on step below, steady her as you help her scoot down the safe way, saying "Feeties first!" until it rings in your head. If you're musically inclined, turn the directions into a song—if not, consider rapping your instructions. (Or just go ahead and say it. Either way.)
- Shower your kid with kisses and praise any time she even comes close to putting her feet on the step below her.
- Practice three times a week for about a week and next week she'll be teaching the kids at Gymboree a thing or two about climbing down off of that big purple cube.
- Never leave your baby alone on or near stairs.