There's a new person in your life! A new tiny person! While some new parents immediately have intense feelings for their new baby, it's not unusual to take a while to grow attached to the little guy (or gal). Getting to know this new person in your life may take some time. Here are some ways you can bond with your newborn:
- Talk to your baby. He doesn't understand what you're saying but he'll find your voice soothing. And you can tell him a little bit about yourself! Your baby will enjoy listening.
- Get close to your newborn. Whether you're breastfeeding or not, skin-to-skin contact helps in the bonding process. It's hard not to get that warm fuzzy feeling when you're holding a newborn baby close to you.
- Gaze into his eyes. Babies can't see too far away, but that's just another reason to snuggle.
- Make funny faces. You can express your personality and your baby might even try to imitate your facial expressions and gestures.
- Read to your newborn. Again, he doesn't understand what you're saying, but your voice is soothing to him. And sharing your favorite kid book is a great way to bond!
Before you know it, you'll find it hard to believe you were able to live without the fella.