Child Car Safety for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Your kid may face forward in her car seat once she is at least 24 months of age or her height and weight reaches the maximum recommended for her specific seat. (If she doesn't meet those guidelines yet, follow Car Safety for Babies.
- The only place for your preschooler or toddler is in the backseat of your car.
- Your kid's car seat must have a five-point harness until she weighs at least 40 pounds.
- Always remove your kid's jackets and coats before buckling her in.
- Make sure that the harness straps are not slipping off her shoulders.
- Think your preschooler is ready to move to a booster seat? Check out the Car Seat Guidelines for Kids!
And be sure and follow the general Child Car Safety Tips for children of all ages, too!