Easter Idea: Easter Egg Roll Game
Roll it like the prez! Host an Easter egg roll a la the annual White House tradition!
- Mr. and Mrs. President:You and your partner.
- Cabinet members:The kids and their friends.
- Hardboiled and colored Easter eggs:Check out our Simply Marble-less activity for some wicked marbleized eggs.
- Spoon:The White House breaks out the "good stuff" for its Easter egg roll, but you don't have to. Plastic or everyday flatware will work fine.
- Playing field:Move the coffee table and play on the living room rug or make sure Mr. President gets up early and mows the lawn super-short so you can go outside. The longer the grass, the harder it will be to roll the eggs. (Ditto for shag carpets.)
- Proper attire:OK, your white house may not be the White House, but that doesn't mean your kids can show up to the festivities dressed like slobs. Tell them to toss on their Sunday best—or at the very least a shirt that isn't stained with blueberry yogurt.
- Start and finish line markers:Anything from an old shoe to a piece of tape on a tree will work.
- Before the big day, boil up a big pot of eggs and color them.
- Call a "cabinet meeting" and invite your kids' pals over.
- Set up the start and finish lines. Keep it short for the little ones, but make the older kids work for their reward!
- Hand all of the cabinet members a spoon. Don't have enough cutlery on hand? Have them play by pushing the eggs with their noses.
- When you say "Go!" get all of the kids to race to the finish line, pushing their eggs along with their spoons or noses, whatever you're playing with. If any other part of their body touches the egg, they're out!
- Whoever crosses the finish line first wins!
- You can give the winner a little prize, like some candy or a Presidential Medal of Freedom. (We have a sneaking suspicion the kids will opt for the candy.)
- For another Easter idea, turn your egg roll into an all-out egg party by making up other egg games like "Toss and Catch the Egg" and "Carry the Egg on the Spoon ... in Your Mouth!"
- Can't make it to DC this year? Check out ParentsConnect Local to find Easter activities in your area!
- Kids want to hobnob on the Hill? Check out how to get an invite to the real White House Egg Roll at eHow.com.