Fall Recipes: Cheesy Potato Soup
This hearty, quick soup is a perfect meal for week's end. Warm, buttered bread on the side only makes it better!
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 (14½-oz) can chicken broth
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 (1½ to 2-lb) container refrigerated, fully cooked mashed potatoes
- 1 lb ham steak, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan or soup pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter or margarine.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and milk and bring to a boil.
- Add mashed potatoes, stirring with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the ham, peas, and pepper, stirring well to mix. Simmer for 5 minutes, until heated through.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese, stirring well until melted.