Fall Recipes: Slow Cooked Tzimmes
This is a great recipe to let the kids put together--giving you a little extra time to clean the house! Just have them layer the fruits and veggies in the crock before you transfer it to the heating element.
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 green apples, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups dried plums, halved (Remember when we used to call them prunes?)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 ½ cups dried apricots, halved
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups orange juice
- 1 ½ cups apple juice
- Layer the fruits and vegetables, in the order given, into the crock of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle on the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour in the orange juice and apple juice.
- Cook on high for 10-11 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- Let older kids use kitchen scissors to cut the dried fruits in half.