Father's Day Recipes: Tricked Out Turkey Burgers for Dad
What dad doesn't love a Father's Day meal fired up on the grill? Of course, sometimes Daddio needs to watch his figure, so beef burgers and hot dogs just won't do. Help your kids treat dad to a healthy treat this Father's Day. Grill up some turkey burgers with this tasty recipe.
- 1 lb ground turkey (extra lean)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped)
- I container low-fat feta cheese (try sundried tomato and herb flavor for extra punch)
- Whole wheat hamburger buns
- Fixings: Avacado slices, tomato slices, lettuce, ketchup, mayo, mustard
- Put turkey, garlic, green onions and feta into a large mixing bowl.
- Use your hands to smoosh and mix it up (take your rings off - your hands are going to get dirty!)
- Once it's well mixed, divide the mixture evenly to make four large patties (or six smaller ones).
- Put onto a pre-heated grill and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side until done (make sure they're fully cooked - you don't want to eat raw turkey!)
- Place the burgers on the buns and fix them up exactly how you like them.
- Add salsa and cheddar instead of the feta and top with guacamole for a Mexican version or marinara and mozzarella for an Italian version of this recipe. Serve with a healthy side like baked sweet potato fries or spinach salad, and top it all off with a dessert of fruit and frozen yogurt.
PS Don't reserve this recipe deliciousness just for Father's Day! These turkey burgers make a great dinner any day!