Get Wacky With Fourth of July Activities Like This Uncle Sam Relay Race
- An Uncle Sam hat: If you don't have white top hats laying around your house (it's okay - we don't either!) it's super-easy to make them, using this Nick Jr. template.
- An Uncle Sam outfit: Use any old suit jackets and pants, along with white shirts (tees are fine) and bow ties. Don't worry about them being a perfect match to the real thing, but do make sure theyre washable!
- A can of shaving cream
- Mark two lines on opposite sides of the yard.
- Put the Uncle Sam outfits in a pile at one line.
- Put the cans of shaving cream at the line on the other side of the yard.
- Have the kids get into their bathing suits, divide them into two teams, and line them up in front of the costumes.
- When you say "Go!" the first player puts on the Uncle Sam costume as fast as he can.
- Once he's dressed, he runs to the other side of the yard, where he puts on a shaving cream beard.
- With the beard on, he runs back to his team, where he takes off the costume and the next player repeats the steps. (If you want to make things trickier for the kids, make them sing a patriotic song like "America the Beautiful" while theyre dressing.)
- The first team to have all their players finish is the winner!
- Once everyone's completed the relay, you'll have a gaggle of cream-covered kids. This is where the bathing suits come in handy instead of herding them inside to rinse off, just let them spray each other with the hose. Isn't it nice to have one Fourth of July activity where the kids can clean up after themselves?