Yipee! Your kid finally earned that diploma. Now what's he gonna do with it? No, not get a job (duh, Mom). He's going backpacking, of course! Here are 10 great graduation gifts for the grad who's got a travel bug:
- A Talking Translator: Make sure your kid knows how to say "Where's the bathroom" no matter where he is. Graduation gifts that keep your kid from peeing in the bushes ... priceless!
- Travel Guides: Arm your kid with books that tell him where to stay, eat and play while he's away. The Let's Go guides are perfect graduation gifts for young travelers who don't mind slumming it a little.
- A Wordless Travel Book: Foreign languages not really your kid's thing? Ship him off with a wordless dictionary like the awesome Point It: Traveller's Language Kit. It's full of images of everything from toilets to fried chicken so your kid'll be able to communicate without speaking a word of Portuguese.
- A Travel Journal: Make sure your kid records every memory while he's on the road. We love this Nomad Travel Journal. It's compact and has writing prompts like "traveled with," "local knowledge" and "method of travel."
- A Currency Calculator: So your kid knows what's up when he spends 3,000 yen on dinner (relax, that's less than $37!).
- Travel Apps: For a fab graduation gift, buy your grad a bunch of great travel apps before he sets off on his adventure. There are tons of awesome apps for everything from flight tracking to currency conversions toroad conditions in Croatia!
- An International Cell Phone: Trust us, you don't want your kid calling home on his U.S. cell from Russia. Sure, you love talking to him, but not $5-a-minute kind of love.