Halloween Ideas: Boo-Loon Halloween Decoration
Turn bags and balloons into ghostly decor!
- A white balloon:If you don't have white, try a different light color.
- A white plastic garbage bag:The tall kitchen size bags will work well. (You know, the kind you have to constantly remind someone to take out.)
- A piece of string:You don't want your kid's hard work floating away!
- Scissors:Keep 'em away from the balloon!
- Tape:The sticky kind, not the cassette kind you used to listen to pre-iPod.
- Scary CD:Anything with spooky ghost sounds (search "Halloween sounds" on iTunes).
- CD player or iPod:Whatever the kids are using to listen to their tunes these days.
- Plastic chain:To give your ghost that spooky look. Try your local party supply store for some metallic garland. (Don't use metal chain, it's too heavy!)
- Black felt
- Blow up the balloon. If your kid can do it, great. You get to relax!
- Have your child tie a long string onto the bottom of the balloon. A thin, white string will work best so the ghost looks like it's just floating in midair.
- Help your child trim the handles or ties from the open end of the trash bag, then fringe the open end of the bag into one-inch strips, leaving the top half of the bag intact.
- Have your kid slip the balloon inside the plastic bag to create the ghost's head, then loosely cinch the bag shut with a string to give the ghost a neck.
- Next, gather up the plastic chain, and help your child drape it over your ghost.
- Cut two ovals out of black felt for the ghost's eyes and have your child glue them onto the ghost. If you're inspired, cut out a mouth and glue it on, too. Heck, you can even put some hair on your ghost if you'd like!
- When he's finished, tie the ghost to your fence, porch or lamppost so that it floats eerily in the air.
- On Halloween, hide a CD player or iPod playing some spooky ghost sounds to keep the tricksters at bay! BOO!
- Keep plastic bags and balloons away from children under the age of 3! They pose a chocking hazard to the little ones.
- Need more simple Halloween ideas? Check out Nick Jr.'s printable Halloween Party Decorations. Just print, punch a hole and hang!