- A big, square cardboard moving box
- Two thick pieces of ribbon or long fabric strips
- A fun jester's hat:Buy one or make your own.
- Clown makeup:Mix up your own batch of makeup with our simple recipe.
- A colorful, clownish shirt and shorts or tights
- Paint and a paintbrush
- Stapler and staples and/or duct tape
- Construction paper:Optional
- Invite your kid to paint the sides of the box with fun jack-in-the-box-inspired motifs like moons, stars, clowns and juggling balls. If he's using a cardboard box with writing on it, have him cover the box with colorful sheets of construction paper before painting.
- Help your kid cut a hole in the bottom of the box big enough to pop his legs through. Make sure he can walk comfortably! If he's using a cardboard box, cut the flaps off the top.
- When your kid's ready to suit up, have him toss on his colorful shirt and pants and help him get into the box.
- Staple or duct tape a thick piece of ribbon or fabric strip onto each side of the box to create suspenders. Have your kid hold the box up around him as you attach them to ensure proper fit.
- Top the look off with a jester's hat and some clown makeup—red nose, arched eyebrows and an oversized grin.
- Ta-da! A costume to go! (Who said you didn't know "jack" about homemade Halloween costumes?)
- Keep your kid safe this Halloween with invaluable trick-or-treating advice from our experts.