Fun Foods for Kids: Caramel Chocolate Turtles
Here's how to do it:
- For each turtle, you'll need 3 pecan halves. Place one on a sheet of waxed paper for your turtle's head. Gently break the other two in half and situate them below the "head" to look like flippers. (See photo above!)
- Next, melt two caramels for each turtle for 30 seconds on high power in a microwave safe bowl. Stir. If your caramels aren't fully melted after 30 seconds, microwave for an additional 30 seconds on 50% power, repeating as necessary until they're smooth.
- When the caramels are fully melted, gently spoon a heaping spoonful over the center of your carefully arranged pecans, making sure you don't completely cover the head and flippers.
- While the caramel is hardening, melt about 6-7 chocolate chips per turtle in the microwave. Chocolate chips can be tricky to melt, so be sure to set your microwave to 50% power and go slowly. Try 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time. The stirring part is extra important, because chocolate chips can keep their form, even if they're all melty.
- Drop a small spoonful of chocolate on top of the caramel on each chocolate.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!