Kid Healthy Snack: Lickety Split Applesauce
Simple to make and healthy? Count us in!
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
- ½ cup water
- Place apple pieces into small saucepan with just enough water to cover the apple chunks.
- On medium heat simmer the apples for apple for 6-8 minutes. Remove apples from heat before they look like mush.
- Pour soft apples into the blender with the apple water from the pan.
- Puree until very smooth, adding more water if necessary. (As with all hot foods, be very careful when blending and open the blender slowly with a towel when you're finished.)
- Cool, mix in a little rice cereal and breast milk or formula, and serve.
- For older kids: Blend for less time for a chunkier texture and add 1 teaspoon of honey and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon or 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom, for a new flavor introduction.
- Never give a baby under the age of 1 honey! It can contain spores of a bacterium that can make baby very ill.