Kid Healthy Snack: Toddler Truffles
They look like chocolate, taste like cookies, but shhh! These sweet treats are actually made from fiber-rich black beans! (Bake them in secrecy and tell them it's mommy's magic ingredient. We won't spill the beans! )
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup finely chopped nuts
- 4 tbsp butter at room temperature
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or butter an 8X8 inch pan, set aside
- In large, deep bowl, combine the beans, sugars, nuts, butter, baking powder and salt. Using a stick blender or food processor, start to work the ingredients around. When they are fully blended, add the eggs and blend to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until firm and the edges get slightly crisp. Cool and cut into small cubes, or take a spoon and gently roll into small balls with your palms. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Store for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Try different kinds of beans for different colors and textures.
- Add dried currants or different kinds of chopped nuts for a chunkier texture.