Choosing the Best Thermometer for Kids
Shopping for a kids' thermometer can be a stressful experience! There are so many different kinds of thermometers on the market that it's hard to know which one is best for your kid.
- Skip the old-school glass thermometers which contain mercury. They're bad news if they break.
- Don't bother with fever strips (forehead thermometers) since they're not very accurate.
- Don't use a tympanic (ear) thermometer until your kid turns 3.
- Hold off on using oral thermometers until your kid turns 5 since they're not so accurate for young children and they also pose a choking hazard!
- Stick with digital thermometers which tend to give you a reading fast. You can use them rectally or under your kid's armpit. Just remember to check that the battery hasn't died—or else it might not work when you most need it!