Transitioning From Crib to Bed
- They are at least 2.5 years old, preferably 3.
- They know how to go to sleep on their own.
- They can climb out of the crib, although this isn't a reason to move your kid if he doesn't fit the other 2 criteria.
Here's how to make the move when your kid is ready:
- Invite your kid to pick out his bed and/or his bed sheets. He'll be more likely to sleep in it if he had a hand in picking it out.
- If you have room, leave the crib in his room and nap him in the new bed to start with.
- Put the bed in the same place the crib was.
- Make sure the room is babyproof now that your kid can get out of bed!
- Tell him he has to stay in bed alllll night and use incentives like a sticker chart to motivate him to follow the rules.