Nanny 911: Work on Your Most Challenging Challenge
Hello, parents! I want to commend you all for your hard work and participation in the Child Behavior Boot Camp. You all seem very committed to raising good kids. Bravo! And rather than pile on a brand-new challenge today, I thought I'd give you a day to work on everything that you've learned already, so newcomers can catch up and the rest of you to catch your breath. Today's challenge: Work on Your Most Challenging Challenge.
Here are the Nanny's Challenges so far:
- Prepare for Meltdowns. Did you pack a bag full of tricks and treats to entertain your children? Are you able to plan your errands and outings better knowing how to plan ahead? Have you been able to avoid tantrums being better armed?
- Stop Whining and Screaming. Yes, I told you to ignore your children's whining. How hard has that been? Have you been able to get your children to use their words instead? All our children want is to be heard, so helping them express themselves takes the frustration out of the equation.
- Say "No" to Saying "No." That's a toughie, right? It's amazing how reflexive that word can be. So, have you said NO? (I hope you say NO! as the answer to this question!) Have you been able to catch yourself and rephrase your child's question into a sentence? Do tell.
- Get Your Kids to Clean Up. This is the first step in teaching your children responsibility. If they're old enough to take that toy out, they can put it back! But if you make cleanup fun, they're more apt to get into it. What creative ways have you been able to encourage them to tidy up their messes?
- Reward Good Behavior. Every family needs a reward system. It focuses on the good behavior, not the bad. Our children need praise and encouragement, so as parents, it's our job to provide that. What fun reward system did you establish in your household? How did your children respond?
- Establish House Rules. This one takes some planning, so you might want to use today for that. But House Rules are important to establishing a sense of order in your home. After you've sat down with your partner and written down the types of behavior you want to encourage, and the bad behavior you want to stop, hold a family meaning to explain the Rules to your kids. And keep them posted for all to see. Then tell us: What are your House Rules?
Parenting is hard work. Raising good kids is even harder. But Nanny Stella and I are your mommy allies to get you through this Boot Camp, and we want you all be success stories! So, use today to really strengthen your hold on the challenges so far...and be sure to leave your experiences in the comments so everyone can see how wonderfully you are doing!
And my question to you is: Which challenge is YOUR most challenging? What do you think you need to work on the hardest? Share your challenges in the comments below.
Meanwhile, be sure to check in with your mommy allies on the Child Behavior Message Board.