Child Behavior: Parenting a Negative Child
Here are some tips for dealing with your negative child's behavior.
- Try not to react. If you let your kid be grumpy and don't get upset by it, chances are his mood will pass.
- Figure out what triggers his negativity and try to set him up for success by avoiding those triggers. Does he get negative when he's hungry? Does he get moody when he's tired? Is his negativity triggered by new situations? Try to prepare him ahead of time!
- It's OK to let your kid know you've had enough of his bad mood sometimes. A simple, "OK, that's enough!" can do wonders.
- Teach by example! Guide your kid to be more positive by being positive about life yourself! Point out the sunny side of things!
- If you need a break from your negative child, it's OK to take one! Don't feel guilty about taking a mommy time out on occasion.
- Finally, accept your kid for who he is. Sure, he may be a little negative, but he's bound to have a zillion other amazing traits! Focus on the positive!
Check out this page full of positive parenting information!