Helping Your Child Cope With Teasing & Bullying
Teach your kid to cope with teasing & bullying with these helpful tips.
- Empathize with your child and let him know that you take the teasing seriously.
- Help your kid come up with ways of dealing with the teasing, such as removing himself from the situation, when possible.
- Help your kid understand that reacting to the teasing is exactly what the teasers are hoping for. If your child can refrain from becoming upset, the teasers have less of a payoff.
- If appropriate, encourage your kid to make a joke of the teasing to the teasers themselves. It may help him feel more in control of the situation and make him look and feel funnier and smarter than the teasers.
- If your child is the one doing the teasing, remind him that words can hurt people's feelings and get him to put himself in the shoes of the person he's teasing.
- Remember, there's a fine line between teasing and bullying. Remind your child of this, as well, so he can avoid becoming or becoming the victim of bullying.